I made these for a holiday party and have made them for several parties since. They were a real hit- I actually doubled the recipe after I made them the first time because they were gone before I even put them down! They disappeared even quicker the second time I brought them. These will be a real hit and they are fairly easy to make. I even made them for dinner one night and we had mac and cheese on the side!
My recipe is based off this one.
Bacon Bourbon Meatballs
- 6 bacon strips
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Place the uncooked bacon in a food processor and process until it is finely ground up (I only did this step the first time- I thought it was gross and unnecessary. I simply chopped up the bacon into small bits). Add the onion and process until finely chopped and mixed in (again- only did this the first time. I simply chop the onion now).
- Move the bacon/onion mixture into a bowl. Add the ground beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, chili powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. To make the meatballs, Spoon the meat mixture (heaping tablespoonfulls) into your hands, roll it into a ball and then place on the hot skillet. Mixture should make about 24 meatballs. Turn the meatballs every few minutes to brown all sides, cooking 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
- Pour out any excess grease from the pan. Add the BBQ sauce, water and bourbon to the pan. Stir to mix. Add in the meatballs and simmer in the sauce for at least 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!