I’m going to make this recipe again next week and I seriously can’t wait. I was really surprised how well this came out. I don’t think I’ve ever had better sausages in my life— and that’s sayin’ something. Not to mention, this is probably the easiest crock pot recipe I have ever made- no mixing, searing, NO PREP!! So wonderful.
This dish was a big hit in my house and everyone has been begging me to make it again. I made spaghetti squash on the side to cut down on the carbs/processed foods, but you could easily pair this with pasta or rice pasta.
I based my recipe off this one.
Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage with Spaghetti Squash
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 Italian sausage links (sweet or spicy- up to you. I chose sweet.)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (mix of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Two 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- One 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Additional: 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Parmesan, for topping (optional)
- Lay the breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and drizzle with EVOO. Add the seasonings directly onto the chicken and let it sit- don’t mix it. Lay the sausage links directly on top of the chicken.
- On top, add the thinly sliced onion and garlic. Pour the tomatoes, sauce, stock, vinegar into the pot. Top with the additional seasonings. Don’t mix!
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- When you get home from work, slice up that spaghetti squash and put it in the oven- know you need to leave yourself about 40 minutes for this. If you’re unsure how to cook squash, check out my recipe here.
- Serve, top with some freshly grated parm, and enjoy!!