Does anyone not love Mexican food?? Refried beans, cheese, avocados- what’s not to love?? We don’t make a lot of Mexican-style food at home and I really don’t know why. It hits my taste buds in all the right places. This was the first enchilada style dish I’ve ever tried to make and I made quite a few adjustments to the recipe I was basing this off of. This recipe also makes a TON of food, so it’d be great if you’re feeding a small army, or ya know- maybe three to four boys. This lasted us two nights for dinner, but we could have easily made it three because this portion was honestly way too much for me.
We made a simple guac on the side, diced up some lettuce and tomatoes to make it “authentic” with a dollop of yogurt (no sour cream- yuck).
- 1 can refried beans (or make your own. I was lazy.)
- 1 pound ground chuck (we had leftover chicken I threw in- use whatever meat you want!)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 8 corn tortillas (small ones)
- 1 package portobello mushrooms
- 1 can olives (sliced, preferably- or slice on your own time)
- 1 cup enchilada sauce (you can actually buy this canned. We had some leftover homemade tomatillo sauce we used instead)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream, if you must)
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or Mexican-blend)
- Toppings of your choice: lettuce, tomato, guac
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon refried beans into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cook your meat on the stovetop, if it’s not already cooked. We simply chopped up the leftover chicken and put in a large pan to heat it up. Add mushrooms and cook thoroughly. Drain well and remove from heat.
- Add olives, sauce of your choice, yogurt, 1 cup cheese to mushroom mixture and stir until combined. Lay out a single tortilla, spoon about a 2 tablespoons of the mixture inside, roll to close and place it fold-side down into the baking dish on top of the refried beans. Repeat until the dish is full. Top with any remaining mushroom mixture as well as the remaining cup of cheese. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Remove from the oven and let it sit to set for 5-10 minutes. Serve with your sides and ENJOY!
Adapted from MyRecipes.