My favorite recipes are the ones that come out so good, people don’t even know they’re gluten free. That’s exactly what happened in this case! I took this recipe and changed just one ingredient to make it GF. I do not bake and these were super easy- the whole recipe (including baking time) took maybe an hour. You can definitely make them prettier than I did with the chocolate on top- be creative!
GF German Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temp
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup GF flour blend
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 ounce German chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 ups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Bring out your stand mixer (or you can use a regular beater) and cream the butter and sugar together. Scrape down the sides during mixing throughout as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Add the vanilla, then slowly add the buttermilk. Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix until well incorporated. Add the flour and chocolate, then mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fill each liner 2/3 full with the mixture. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While those cupcakes are cooking in the oven, make your frosting. In a large saucepan, add the evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir constantly (and I mean constantly) until the mixture thickens. This takes about 10 minutes or so and it’s noticeable when it changes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut and pecans. Set aside and cool to room temp.
- Once the frosting is cooled, frost the cupcakes. Top with melted chocolate drizzle. Enjoy!
2 Comments Add yours
These look so rich and delicious 🙂
What a great idea to make cupcakes. They look delicious!