This recipe turned out great and was a hit in the house for dinner tonight. We’ve done impromptu stir-fries before, but never used a recipe- just thrown things together. The only thing I would change in the future is to season the beef beforehand to give it a little more depth of flavor. I would also choose to use different colored veggies to make this dish really pop with color.
Luckily, the permanent roommate helped me out with the prep on this one. There was quite a bit of chopping and dicing involved.
This recipe is from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilipo.
Beef Stir Fry
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup red onion, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup string beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup bell peppers, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, raw or toasted
- 2 tablespoons green onions/scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped or grated
- Cut the steak into sections that are approximately 4 inches long, cutting with the grain of the meat. Next, cut against the grain to slice each section into 1/4 inch strips- We decided to cube out meat, instead just for ease and it turned out great.
- Over medium-high heat, let the skillet get hot and melt the coconut oil. Place the steak in the skillet and allow it to brown on both sides, approximately 1-2 minutes per side. Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the red onion, broccoli, string beans, and bell peppers (or whatever vegetables you decide to use) in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until fork-tender.
- While the vegetables cook, combine the sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Add the meat back to the pan, followed by the sauce, and heat through for 2 minutes.
- Plate the stir-fry, and top with sesame seeds, green onions, and water chestnuts.
A super simple dish that’s delicious. This is also a great dish to get rid of any veggies in your fridge- you can do any combination you like!