One of my favorite recipes growing up as a kid was chicken and dumpling soup. I tried this recipe for the first time around this time last year. I made everything from scratch and I never had better chicken soup in my life. I definitely suggest you do the same. This might take you a couple days (or a whole rainy day one weekend), but it is definitely worth it. You can easily cut corners by buying stock and a roaster at the store, but you should go the whole way.
I also added mushrooms this time, which I never have before. I love mushrooms and it added a whole new flavor into the mix, which I loved. Feel free to take them out if you’re not a big fan!
I based my recipe off this one.
Gluten Free Chicken and Dumpling Soup
for the soup-
- chicken off a roasted chicken, loosely chopped (use this recipe or this one)
- homemade stock or 6 cups from the store
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 package mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
for the dumplings-
- 1.5 cups Gluten Free Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil or EVOO. Once hot, add carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms. Cook until onions are no longer translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in spices- thyme, turmeric. Then add stock and cider. Mix to combine. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 1+ hour (if you’re in a rush, then for at least 20 minutes).
- Add the cooked, chopped chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes to warm chicken.
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for dumplings and mix. You may need to add more milk, as needed, for the right consistency. Using a tablespoon, gently drop heaping tablespoonfuls of mixture into the soup. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, then uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Scoop into bowls and serve! Enjoy!