This is a really great side dish and I was actually surprised with how this came out. I literally treated the butternut squash like it was potatoes and also added some of my favorite ingredients. I get tired of roasting the squash or having it in soup. Why not get a little creative?
Butternut Squash Mash
- 2 pounds butternut squash- peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (or buy 2 packages of already cubed squash)
- s&p to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces goat cheese (more or less to your taste)
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees. Place your squash cubes in a shallow baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Pour water in the dish to a depth of about 1 inch (this is optional- if you want more of a roasted taste to your squash, then skip this). Dot the dish with butter and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake, covered, until the squash is tender- about 1 hour. Pull out of the oven and place into a large bowl.
- Crush the squash with a potato masher or fork. Taste and season more as desired. Add your goat cheese and mix well. Serve and enjoy!