This is a dish my mom has been making for years and has been passed on to me- and now all of you. It’s one of my favorite things she makes. It is simply indescribable. Nothing I have ever made tastes like this. It is absolutely my favorite soup. You’ll have to try it out for yourself!
Sausage and Ravioli Soup
- 1 package gluten free ravioli (frozen or fresh- if you can find tortellini then that’s even better!)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups broth of your choice (the best is fresh, homemade bone broth)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes- peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- OPTIONAL: anything else you have that you want to throw in it- chick peas, beans, handfuls of spinach- you can’t go wrong!
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, brown the sausage. Set aside and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the drippings. Stir in the broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ravioli according to the package instructions.
- Stir in the parsley into the finished soup. Spoon a serving of ravioli into the bottom of a bowl, then top with soup. Top with grated parm and enjoy!