I’m all about my crock pot. If I could marry it, I would. It saves me so much time when I get home from work. If you don’t have one, ask for one for Christmas. You need one.
This recipe was a little hot! I’m not a big fan of spicy, but this was definitely tolerable. Chili has been a staple in my house since I started cooking because you can generally make a pretty large batch and there’s usually plenty of leftovers. This recipe was a little different for me because it had a lot of ingredients I’ve never put in chili before. I would, however, definitely make this again. We always serve chili over a bed of spinach and with a side of cheesy, gluten free garlic bread.
I based my recipe off this one.
Crock Pot Chili with Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes- peeled and diced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12-ounce dark or amber GLUTEN FREE beer (or chicken stock)
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin. Transfer everything to the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, quinoa, beer, 2 cups chicken stock, tomatoes to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is thicker than your liking (I didn’t add anything). Serve and enjoy!