This recipe was a HUGE hit in my house. Who doesn’t love Sloppy Joe’s?? Everyone loves Sloppy Joe’s. That meaty sweet flavor… it reminds us of childhood, of family. This recipe is super simple and super delicious. I made a large salad on the side and got little gluten free buns for me and my mom. This is a great rainy day meal that is guaranteed to perk everyone up.
I based my recipe off this one.
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large pepper, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Red Hot’s
- Worcestershire sauce (1-2 shakes)
- salt and pepper
- Brown the beef in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain off the fat (I didn’t find this necessary).
- Add the pepper and onion. Stir and then add 1 cup water, ketcup and garlic. Stir to combine, then add the brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, Worcestershire, s&p. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- At this point, taste your combination. Add more chili powder, hot sauce or red pepper flakes as needed.
- To serve, cut your rolls in half, then spread with butter (if desired) and top with Sloppy Joe mixture. Serve with a side of your favorite veggies and enjoy!