I’m always looking for new things to eat for breakfast during the week that will be filling. It’s really hard to stray away from eggs. And I’ve done everything with eggs- egg muffins, slow cooker egg casseroles, egg pies, scrambled, over-easy… everything. Eggs get boring. But what else can you eat for breakfast if you’re trying to cut out carbs?
I came across this recipe in my newest thyroid book- “The Thyroid Connection” by Amy Meyers. I decided to give it a try this week and I was not disappointed. I prepped enough for 4 breakfasts on Sunday so I was good for the whole week. I simply heated a skillet and warmed up a serving in the morning and enjoyed! I was full and satisfied until lunch and I wasn’t eating eggs! Yay!
It looks like a lot of food and it really is a lot. I actually felt I had too much, so I ended up eating until I was satisfied and putting some of the sweet potato mixture back in the container for next time.
Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Sausages with Sweet Potato and Greens Breakfast Hash
for the sausages-
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small green apple, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup bone broth or beef broth
for the hash-
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 3 cups kale
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 large avocado, sliced (optional)
- First, make your sausages. Combine beef, apple, and spices in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with your hands until well incorporated. Form 8 patties out of the meat mixture and set aside. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and drop in the coconut oil. Once hot, place patties on skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, flipping throughout. Add broth to pan, lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Set sausages aside and wipe down the pan. Add new coconut oil- it’s time to make the hash. Add sweet potatoes and onions, then cover and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring throughout. Uncover and add spices, then mix well and add the greens. Cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until greens are wilted and sweet potato is slightly brown.
- Serve 2 patties and 1/4 of the hash mixture with half an avocado for a delicious and satisfying breakfast! Enjoy!