Every now and then, I get a craving for a certain type of food. Lately, it’s been greek-style food. Not sure why or where it came from, but that’s what I’ve been craving. So expect to see some greek-inspired meals in the upcoming posts!
This dish was great because I could throw the chicken in the crock pot in the morning and it was ready when I came home from work. I whipped up a quick tzatziki sauce, served it with some roasted red peppers, olives and gerkins. This was a really great meal- and it’s different! Would definitely recommend.
I based my recipe off this one.
Crock Pot Chicken Musakhan
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- EVOO as needed
- 0.5 oz ground sumac (if you can find it- I subbed some lemon zest, pepper and a pinch of paprika)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch saffron (optional, but recommended)
- handful of pine nuts
- fresh chopped mint for garnish
- s&p to taste
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add EVOO, then add onions, sumac, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and saffron. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Season with s&p as desired. Top with onion mixture.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. When finished, saute pine nuts with a little EVOO over medium-high heat until browned. Finely chop the mint. Serve the chicken topped with mint and pine nuts. Enjoy!