I’ve been making shakshuka for the past 2 years for breakfast- you can easily make this dish for dinner, but I like to spice up breakfast every now and then. My husband really loves strong flavors, so he absolutely loves this dish. If you haven’t tried it, I would definitely recommend, especially if you have a cast iron skillet!!
I based my recipe off this one.
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (14.5) ounce cans diced tomatoes (or about 4 large tomatoes, diced)
- s&p to taste
- 5+ ounces goat cheese or feta, crumbled
- 6+ large eggs (I do 2 eggs per person)
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the EVOO. Add the onion and pepper and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the spices- cumin, paprika, cayenne. Pour in the tomatoes and season with s&p. Simmer until the tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Crack eggs into the skillet right on top of the tomatoes. Season with s&p. Pop in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the eggs have set. Sprinkle with your cheese and serve! Enjoy!!